Our innkeepers make these scones every week, and pack them as one of the components in our To-Go breakfasts for guests with early departures. Here’s your warning: they’re deliciously ADDICTIVE!!
Makes 24 scones
1 lb 12 oz Bread flour
3 oz Granulated sugar, plus extra for coating tops
3 Tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Finely ground sea salt
1 tsp Finely ground dry lavender buds
3 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/3 Cup Honey
1 Cup Toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lavender in a large bowl. Mix to evenly distribute.
- Add the cream and honey, mixing by hand until it comes together, but do so gently.
- Divide the dough into thirds, cover with a towel and let rest on a floured surface for ten minutes.
- Shape each portion of dough with floured hands into flat discs about 8” around and 1” high; cut into 8ths radially.
- Dip the tops in cream then sugar to get a nice crystallized top. Place on parchment or silicone lined bake sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 7 minutes or until risen and lightly brown, then lower heat to 350° and continue to bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool on bake sheets for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
To make ahead: Shape the dough into discs and cut to desired size. Wrap each section individually and freeze. Can be baked direct from the freezer, does not need to be thawed first. Allow approximately 4 additional minutes for baking.