Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans and Cherries
2½ cup All-purpose flour
1½ tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Finely ground sea salt
2½ cup Oats
3 cup Packed brown sugar
1½ cup European unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 cup Pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
2 cup Dry sour cherries, roughly chopped
½ lb Chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and oats in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cream brown sugar and butter with the paddle attachment of a standing mixer until smooth and pale in color. Add eggs and vanilla extract; mix until combined, scraping the bowl as needed to ensure the batter is evenly combined.
- Add the flour mixture in increments, mixing and scraping between. Stop when almost incorporated.
- Add the pecans, cherries, and chocolate chunks and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate dough until firm enough to handle, about 1 hour. Portion into desired size, and bake 9-12 minutes until edges are set. Err on the side of underdone as the cookies will continue to bake on the cookie sheet after being removed from oven.
Super Seed Variation: Substitute an equal volume of assorted seeds, fruits, and nuts for the pecans, cherries, and chocolate. We use chopped apricots, Craisins™, golden raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, and dark chocolate. (Or whatever we have in the pantry!)
Gluten Free Variation: Substitute your favorite GF flour blend and add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.
Suggested Do-It-Yourself GF Blend: 2 parts sweet rice flour, 1 part brown rice flour, 1 part quinoa flour, 2 parts sorghum flour, and 1 part oat flour. Make a large batch to keep in your pantry. We do not recommend including the xanthan gum as part of the GF mix, as different doughs require different amounts.
For our companion Fall cookie recipe see our blog post Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.