Ferry Travel Tips
If you are traveling via the Washington State ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, here are some tips:
Tickets and Reservation:
- Reservations may be made online at the Washington State Ferry or via phone at 1-888-808-7977 (statewide) or 1-206-464-6400 (out of state) beginning at 7 am – 2 weeks before each new ferry schedule start date. Another batch of reservations become available 2 weeks prior and then 2 days prior to the sailing. For 2016 sailings before March 19th, reservations can be made at any time. Please check the Ferry Website reservation site for release dates after that point. Be sure to sign up for Ferry Alerts by e-mail about a week before your travel date so you can be kept up to date regarding delays and cancellations.
Reservations are also available for the international crossing to Sidney B.C., Canada, which is scheduled to begin service again on Sunday, March 20, 2016.
- Tickets purchased in Anacortes are for round-trip travel to Friday Harbor.
- Plan on traveling off peak by taking one of the early morning ferries as the early afternoon ferry is always popular.
- There is limited space available for drive-up vehicles on each sailing for those without a reservation. Keep in mind that Washington State Ferry loads on average 20-30 additional vehicles on each sailing due to the 10% standby + reservation holders who don’t show for their reserved sailing.
- Arrive 30 minutes and no more than 90 minutes in advance of reserved sailing. For busy holiday weekends, arrive 45 minutes prior to departure.
- If you do not show up for your reservation you will be charged a no-show fee based on the size of your vehicle.
- Bring your printed bar code from your reservation or your confirmation number.
- Reservations must be canceled by 5 pm the day prior to travel to avoid a no-show fee.
- Unlimited changes are permitted up to 5 pm the day prior to the reserved sailing. One change is allowed after 5 pm but must be made more than three hours in advance for Anacortes/San Juan Island reservations.
- No changes or cancellations are permitted after the reservation deadline, which is three hours for the Anacortes San Juan Island routes.
- Reservations for San Juan Island travel are reserved as separate legs. if you change or cancel an outbound trip please be reminded you need to modify the return trip as well to avoid no-show fees.
- If you do not have time for a meal before you get in line, you may wish to stop along the way and purchase a meal or snacks to bring with you. There is also food available at the Cheesecake Cafe in the ferry terminal. Once you have your car in line, you can enjoy your meal, read a good book or a take a stroll.
- Consider leaving your car in Anacortes and visiting San Juan Island by foot. The Harrison House Suites is only one and 1/2 blocks from the Friday Harbor ferry terminal. There are plenty of options for getting around the Island without a car, especially in summer.
- Four-legged friends are welcome on the ferry. They can enjoy the crossing in your vehicle, or on the car deck restrained in a crate. Only service animals are permitted on the passenger decks.
- Inter-island ferry travel is free for foot passengers or those traveling with a bicycle.
- There are no reservations for the interisland sailing.
- On your return trip to Anacortes from Friday Harbor, you can stop and visit other islands without having to pay additional ferry tariffs.