Makes 12 standard muffin-sized pupcakes
For the Pupcake Batter:
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp minced garlic, optional (add to help repel fleas and ticks)
For the Frosting:
- 8 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2-3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
For the Decoration:
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- ¼ cup minced mint
- 12 each whole leaves of mint or parsley
Make the cakes:
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray or use paper liners
- Whisk together the flour, oats, and baking powder in a large bowl until combined.
- Whisk together yogurt, water, olive oil, honey, and eggs in a separate bowl until combined.
- Stir in the apple, cheese, and garlic (if using.)
- Add the wet apple mix to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until they spring back when lightly touched in the center.
- Remove from oven onto a wire rack. After 5 minutes, remove the cakes from the pan to cool completely. If you have used oil in the pans, with no liners, it is important that you remove the cakes from the pans while they are still fairly hot, to prevent sticking.
Make the frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese, yogurt, and honey. Sprinkle in the flour while mixing, a small amount at a time, until it is thick and spreadable.
- Spread a small amount of frosting on each cake once the cakes are completely cool; sprinkle decoration on top.
Note: The frosting quantities given makes enough to spread a small flat amount on each cake. If you wish to pipe the frosting on the cakes, triple the batch. If you have used liners, be sure to remove them before serving your pup.