For the Eggnog Panna Cotta
1 cup high-quality eggnog
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp rum extract
8 oz mascarpone or crème fraiche (see lemon panna cotta recipe)
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp gelatin
2 tbsp water
For the Spiced Cranberry Compote
1½ cup frozen or fresh cranberries
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp minced crystallized ginger
1½ tsp orange zest
Curled lemon zest for garnish, optional
Method for Panna Cotta
- Place the eggnog, sugar, and nutmeg in a medium pot over the stove. Cook, stirring gently, until the sugar has dissolved, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in rum extract. Whisk in the mascarpone or crème fraîche and sour cream until smooth.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl. Let stand for at least two minutes. Add gelatin to eggnog mixture.
- Return pot to burner set on low heat until gelatin has melted.
- Divide among 6 champagne or wine glasses. Cover and refrigerate over night.
Method for Spiced Cranberry Compote
- Combine the compote ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 5 – 6 minutes, until cranberries are popped and mixture is a thick consistency. Cool completely before serving.
- Divide the cranberry compote over the tops of the custards. Serve
Makes 6 servings. This is a beautiful looking and tasting dessert for you holiday, and a great way to finish off any extra holiday eggnog. Any left over cranberry compote is a wonderful side to ham, turkey or pork.