Recipe: Chef Ryan’s Homemade BBQ “Mop Sauce”
« Previous Page
By Ryan Lockhart
- 2 white onions
- 1/2 c oil
- 4 chipotle peppers (or 4 T red chili flakes)
- 4 T minced garlic
- 2 T chili powder
- 3 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 T mustard powder (or 1/2 c dijon)
- 2 T smoked paprika
- 2 c tomato paste
- 2 T salt (to taste)
- 3 T worcestershire
- 3 c brown sugar
- 12 oz black berries (optional)
- Peel onion. Char over open flame until onion is completely black and flaking.
- Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let the onion sweat.
- Add the charred onions to a medium saucepan with the garlic and sweat over a medium-low heat until translucent.
- Add chipotle peppers and tomato paste.Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid burning.
- Add all remaining ingredients and continue to simmer on low heat reducing by 20-25 percent.
- Transfer to a blender, or using an immersion blender, purée until completely incorporated and smooth.