Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes and German Chocolate Cake Variations
1 c lightly flavored olive or brain oil
2 c sugar
3 eggs, beaten well
9 Tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange extract
½ c buttermilk
2 tsp cinnamon
2 c finely grated peeled zucchini (let sit for 15 minutes, drain and discard liquid)
2 ½ c all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixer bowl, beat together oil, sugar and eggs.
- Add cocoa powder, extracts, buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Add grated zucchini and mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add to batter and mix until combined.
- Prepare 24 cup cake pans with paper and cooking spray or 2, 9 inch cake pans with vegetable cooking spray or grease and flour. Divide batter equally between both pans or cupcakes.
- Bake 40 – 45 min until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 min. before turning onto racks. When cakes are cool, cover, and chill until cold.
German Chocolate Cake or Frosted Cup Cake Variation
Frost and fill to make a German chocolate cake or cupcakes
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
½ c half and half
2 egg yolks
1 c European unsalted butter softened
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange extract
5 drops yellow food coloring
2 Tbsp grated carrot
- In saucepan, whisk water and cornstarch. Add half and half and yolks.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cream butter, adding powdered sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla, orange extract, and color mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add chilled cooked mixture and grated carrot. Chill until firm enough to spread.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
1 ¼ c sugar
1 c heavy cream
5 oz unsweetened chocolate or substitute cocoa and butter:
(15 Tbsp Dutch style cocoa + 5 Tbsp European-style unsalted butter)
8 tablespoons European style butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine sugar and cream in heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer 6 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Add half the butter and cocoa and stir to blend.
- Add remaining butter and stir until melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken and beat until thick and creamy.
- Makes enough to frost an 8 or 9 inch layer cake.