The Harrison House Suites is a green hotel in Friday Harbor and strives to be stewards of the land and protect the island’s fragile marine ecosystem. Living on an Island makes us acutely aware of conservation in everything we do. The Harrison House Suites has implemented low-impact conservation techniques. We partner with like-minded activity operators and purveyors. This collaborative spirit ensure the long term care of our precious environment.
As a Green Hotel, the Harrison House Suites invites our guests to share in our philosophy of conversation during their visit. These practices not only make sense – but save cents.
- Recycling throughout the Inn, Restaurant, and guest rooms.
- Purchasing energy star appliances for all replacement appliances.
- Replacing wood burning fireplaces with propane fire places.
- Installing low-flush toilets, low water usage showers and drip irrigation system for the gardens.
- Using organic cleaners, hydrosal, the floral water from the distillation process of lavender essential oil, vinegar and baking soda in lieu of highly scented fabric softener.
- Stocking bathrooms with private-label handmade organic body products in refillable dispensers versus individual amenity bottles.
- Replacing lighting with fluorescent and LED bulbs.
- Asking our guests to partner with us in our conservation practices while on vacation.
- Composting and recycling kitchen waste to local farms.
On-going Activities of this Green Hotel in Friday Harbor
- Encouraging guests to walk on the ferry and leave their cars, use public transportation, or bicycles to get around the Island. We provide guests with the complimentary use of bicycles.
- Supporting local merchants and business owners to reduce carbon footprint of importing supplies and ingredients.
- Developing and fostering relationships with local farmers and fisherman to ensure the very best fresh seasonal and local produce, meats, fish, and cheeses available are served each day. Local farms provide us with hormone free milk and cream, delivered weekly by our “milk man.” Several Island farms provide us with free range chicken and duck eggs. We serve sustainable lamb, beef, and fish from the Island Farms.
- Selecting sustainable ingredients for our menus.
- Educating guests through our e-newsletters about our sustainable and eco-friendly practices.
- Growing herbs, edible flowers, cut flowers at the Inn for use in the guest rooms and for food preparation.
- Composting kitchen scraps to local farms to use for chicken and pig feed and composting – a real farm-to-table to farm program.
- Providing guests with filtered water to eliminate disposal plastic bottles.
- Donating worn linens and bedding to Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center or San Juan Animal Shelter.
- Donating used appliances and electronics and furniture to island companies that recycle and resell them to Islanders for nominal fees.
- Donating used furniture to Fireman’s Thrift Center instead of sending it to the transfer station to end up in a land fill.